[Dovecot] dovecot not logging after upgrade to 2.1.7 on debian

Steinar Bang sb at dod.no
Thu May 9 16:55:45 EEST 2013

> On 05/09/2013 02:02 PM Steinar Bang wrote:
>> After upgrading my IMAP server to the new debian stable, and upgrading
>> dovecot from 1.x to 2.1.7 in the process, dovecot no longer logs
>> anything to /var/log/mail.*.  The last entries there are from before the
>> upgrade, and no starts or error messages or failed login attempts, since
>> then, have been logged.

> Did you read /usr/share/doc/dovecot-core/{NEWS,README}.Debian.gz?

I've read the README.Debian.gz file.  I couldn't find anything about
logging configuration there.  Still can't.  I just looked.

I hadn't looked in the NEWS file, but now I have.  Nothing there either.

> Please don't copy and paste stuff from files in Dovecot's configuration
> directory. Always provide the output generated by `doveconf -n`.

Hard to explain that something didn't make it from the config file to
the actual config without providing an example of what was lost.

> ,--[ doveadm-log(1) ]--
>> COMMANDS
>> log find
>> doveadm log find [directory]
>>
>> The log find command is used to show the location of the log files,
>> to which dovecot(1) sends its log messages.  If dovecot(1) logs its
>> messages through syslogd(8) and doveadm(1) could not find any log
>> files, you can specify the directory where your syslogd writes its
>> log files.

Yes.  Used that one yesterday, and it couldn't find any log files, and
it already looks in the right place (/var/log/), and I still have no
idea where to look and configure, except for the config file snip that
you felt I shouldn't have pasted in.

rainey:~# doveadm log find
Looking for log files from /var/log
Debug: Not found
Info: Not found
Warning: Not found
Error: Not found
Fatal: Not found

Could the culprit be the syslogd?  Could the syslogd have gone AWOL
during the debian upgrade?  That's a point of investigation, at least...