[Dovecot] Released Pigeonhole v0.4.0 for Dovecot v2.2.1.

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Fri May 10 14:28:35 EEST 2013

On 5/10/2013 12:12 PM, Christian Rohmann wrote:
> Hey Stephan,
>
> On 05/09/2013 11:23 PM, Stephan Bosch wrote:
>> It basically acts as a front-end to your normal MTA. First of all, it
>> provides a convenient way to add SMTP AUTH support to any MTA. But the
>> main goal for this project is to implement an SMTP submission server
>> with full support for the LEMONADE profile
>> (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4550). It acts as a proxy server, so it
>> doesn't queue anything; once the client sees a success reply for the
>> message submission, it is already accepted in the actual MTA queue.
>
> I have one remark and one question:
>
> Remark: Don't forget XCLIENT / XFORWARD support to help the "real" MTA
> understand who it's really talking to.

XCLIENT is already implemented. But, afaik, this is only supported by
Postfix. I also noticed a problem with XCLIENT LOGIN=<user>.  Even when
that is specified, Postfix doesn't allow relaying for a client
authenticated through Dovecot submission. I am still not sure what I am
messing up there (I did configure smtp_recipient_restrictions correctly
I believe).

What is XFORWARD good for? It looks very similar, but focused on dealing
with mail filter intermediaries. I don't think this applies here.

> Question: Will the new SMTP submission code somehow solve the
> robustness issues with sieve doing SMTP submission? We talked about it
> last November. Subject was "[Dovecot] Sieve puts incoming message into
> inbox on any problem with submission_host".

Probably. I'll keep that in mind when implementing the new SMTP client
in lib-smtp. It will also require some changes in the LDA/LMTP handling
of temporary delivery failures. This is also a good occasion to finish
Sieve ereject support.

Regards,

Stephan.