[Dovecot] Sieve was installed but doesn't work or log

Jim McNamara jim at packetalk.net
Wed May 15 15:55:31 EEST 2013

On 05/14/2013 06:55 PM, Noel Butler wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-05-14 at 12:49 -0400, Jim McNamara wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone.
>>
>> I have dovecot version 1.2.8 installed from source. This morning I
>> installed the sieve plugin to sort emails, and though the install
>> reported no errors, the plugin doesn't seem to function, and no mention
>> of it is made in the logs when I turn on verbose logging.
>>

> with version 1.2.x  I always found cmusieve to behave nicer.
>
> Though, if you are installing from source, why the hell  are you using
> something so old?
> 1.2.17 is the latest in the now unsupported 1.2 series, but if you are
> building from source,  try  2.1.16 and dovecot-2.1-pigeonhole-0.3.5,
> I've only recently (months ago) moved to 2.1 from 1.2, and it appears
> smoother, and lot of niggly things like hung  *-login processes on busy
> servers have gone away, without bench testing, I'd even say its more
> resource friendly (at least in NFS (without director) configurations)
>
> Are you sure your sieve scripts are valid? do they get compiled?

I believe in the past there was some issues with newer dovecot when
using qmail and vpopmail, but it has been years since I tried it. I'll
compile the source this morning and see if I can get deliveries to work
without sieve, then I'll proceed with the pigeonhole install.

My sieve script passed the test on http://libsieve-php.sourceforge.net/
, they are not complicated scripts at all, literally if sender is A,
move to subfolder A of inbox. It was just for testing. The reason I
assumed there was a problem was the complete lack of logging. Also when
I moved the default sieve script:

sieve_global_path: /usr/local/etc/default.sieve

and the user script:

sieve: /home/vpopmail/domains/%d/%n/sieve

there was no logging that indicated sieve couldn't run because of a lack
of any sieve scripts. That plus the single sorting rule not working
quickly made me think sieve simply didn't install or work.

Thank you for the help, I'll post back with the success/failure of a
more recent version.