[Dovecot] Upgrading 1.2 to 2.x

Simon B simon.buongiorno at gmail.com
Mon May 27 16:18:47 EEST 2013

On 24 May 2013 20:08, Benny Pedersen <me at junc.eu> wrote:
> Simon B skrev den 2013-05-24 18:32:
>
>> In an unscheduled maintenance window next week, I will have the
>> opportunity to upgrade to 2.x should I wish to do and provided I can
>> get it working on stage first.
>

> +1, i would have installed 2.x if it was first time install of dovecot, i
> would keep 1.x until i need a new server, since 1.x is all i need, and wiki
> page for 1.x still exits so all is fine imho :=)

Thanks for the response Benny - the opportunity is that it's a new server :)

>> My questions:
>>
>> I've seen a lot on the list about the rock-solidness of 1.2 but also
>> some people saying that some versions of 2.x better than others.  Is
>> there a recommended version - I don't need bleeding edge, I'd prefer
>> stability, or one most of you can agree on?
>

> imho its not just a version change, its more then that, mailstore and
> backend and out support and whole new config layout keeps me away from
> migradeing it, well when i migraded from curier-imap to dovecot i have both
> running the same time binded to diff localhost ips, then it was simple to
> use imapsync to migrade over storages for all mailboxes, but now with
> dovecot 1.x to 2.x its not that simple anymore
>
>> What am I missing by not upgrading?
>

> if 1.x is working now, then you miss nothing, no matter that dovecot 1.x is
> nearly not supported in any distros anymore, so i keep my 1.x ebuild on
> gentoo, just in case i still really need to build it again

Yeah, 1.2 is working and I never have to worry about it.  The problem
is I don't really see a feature list to give me an idea of whether the
reward is worth the risk.

>> A few months ago I tried to convert a Dovecot 1.2 config into 2.1 and
>> wasn't very successful.  Any tips on how to go about it?
>

> its dangoryous to ask that here, most people would just say read the docs or
> do "dovecot -n >new.conf" with the new dovecot installed, not there fault it
> ends with single conf like dovecot 1.x had

Yes, that's what I did - failed spectacularly.  And I've just reread it again.

> suggested keep 1.x for now

Cheers. Unless anyone has anything to add, that is probably what I will do.

Simon