[Dovecot] Dovecot MTA

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sat Nov 9 04:57:03 EET 2013

On 11/8/2013 7:07 AM, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> I've never really wanted to create my own MTA, because I like Postfix

And given Postfix, Exim, etc, are mature and feature complete, why would
you want to at this time?

> My main design goals for the MTA are:
> * Dovecot MTA is a new product

"Product".  Open source developers usually don't refer to new projects
as "products".

> * Configuration: ...Instead nearly all of the
> configuration could be done using Sieve scripts.
> * Try to implement as many existing interfaces as possible (e.g.
> Milter and various Postfix APIs like policy servers) so that it
> wouldn’t be necessary to reimplement all the tools and filters.

It seems pretty clear your long term goal with this is to sew up Dovecot
into a single source integrated stack that doesn't require an external
MTA, and to sell the stack as a product.

If this is your motivation behind this MTA, please state so.  If this
future integrated Dovecot stack product may negatively impact current
open source Dovecot users, please state so.

--
Stan