[Dovecot] Dovecot MTA

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Nov 9 11:48:13 EET 2013

On 9.11.2013, at 3.57, Stan Hoeppner <stan at hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

>> My main design goals for the MTA are:
>> * Dovecot MTA is a new product
>
> "Product".  Open source developers usually don't refer to new projects
> as "products”.

Maybe I’ve been talking to business people for too long now :)

>> * Configuration: ...Instead nearly all of the
>> configuration could be done using Sieve scripts.
>> * Try to implement as many existing interfaces as possible (e.g.
>> Milter and various Postfix APIs like policy servers) so that it
>> wouldn’t be necessary to reimplement all the tools and filters.
>
> It seems pretty clear your long term goal with this is to sew up Dovecot
> into a single source integrated stack that doesn't require an external
> MTA, and to sell the stack as a product.
>
> If this is your motivation behind this MTA, please state so.  If this
> future integrated Dovecot stack product may negatively impact current
> open source Dovecot users, please state so.

We’re already more or less selling what we’re planning on selling, but currently the MTA is Postfix. But yeah, the new MTA needs to have some business reason for bringing it into existence. Still, I don’t see how it could negatively impact Dovecot. It’s going to be open source anyway.