[Dovecot] Dovecot replication not redirecting if server is down

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Nov 10 20:50:14 EET 2013

On 10.11.2013, at 19.43, Patrick Westenberg <pw at wk-serv.de> wrote:

> Timo Sirainen schrieb:
>
>> The blog was telling the idea how things would work, not exactly whose responsibility it is to do every part of them. The Dovecot proxies will know which backend servers are down (but not without extra scripting).
>
> So another ineffectual feature from Dovecot.
>
> You should have limited yourself creating a good imap server instead of adding features and features which can only be used useful if you tinker around.

Different installations want to use features in different ways. I can’t make everyone happy, so I try to keep everything as configurable as possible. Director + poolmon should work for what you want to do. I don’t see a problem with poolmon being a separate script. The company who initially paid for the director feature specifically didn’t want me to implement anything like poolmon, because they had their own and wanted to use it.