[Dovecot] Dovecot MTA

Daniele Nicolodi daniele at grinta.net
Sun Nov 10 21:00:38 EET 2013

On 08/11/2013 14:07, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> I've never really wanted to create my own MTA, because I like Postfix
> quite a lot. And I always thought it would require a horribly lot of
> time to be able to create something that was anywhere even close to
> having Postfix's features.

Hello Timo,

I don't want to put too much stop energy into this, and I'm not really
in the position to tell you what to do with your time and energies, but
I feel that the world does not need another MTA, and that most of your
design goals can be very well accomplished with existing tools or
minimal extensions to them.

At the same time I see here on the mailing list frequent reports of bugs
in Dovecot that would have been quite easy to catch with more test
coverage. Spending time and energies into extending unit and integration
tests for the current Dovecot would IMHO be very well worth.

Additionally I feel that Dovecot documentation can see some love as
well.  Having the wiki as main source of documentation does not look
very polished, compared, for example to the extremely good written and
maintained Postfix documentation.

I know that designing something from scratch is much more catchy than
polishing a mature project. At the same time realizing a MTA capable of
replacing existing solutions in non trivial cases is probably that much
work that the fun will end quickly :)

Just my two cents.

Best,
Daniele