[Dovecot] Strange output from LIST command

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at curecanti.org
Mon Oct 14 22:23:18 EEST 2013

Quoting azurIt <azurit at pobox.sk>:

> i'm using Dovecot 2.1.7 (Debian Wheezy) and output from LIST command
> looks strange:
>
> C: 4 LIST () "" (INBOX INBOX.Karantena INBOX.Spam) RETURN (STATUS (UNSEEN))
> S: * LIST () "." "INBOX"
> S: * LIST () "." "INBOX.Karantena"
> S: * STATUS "INBOX.Karantena" (UNSEEN 0)
> S: * LIST () "." "INBOX.Spam"
> S: * STATUS "INBOX.Spam" (UNSEEN 0)
> S: 4 OK List completed.
>
> The UNSEEN information for INBOX is completely missing. It is
> correct behavior?

No.  RFC 5819 [2]:

"For each selectable mailbox matching the list pattern and selection
options, the server MUST return an untagged LIST response followed by
an untagged STATUS response containing the information requested in
the STATUS return option."

INBOX matches the list pattern (It is explicitly contained in the
search list) and the selection options (which is empty), so the server
MUST return both a LIST response -AND- a STATUS response.

2.1.10 changelog has this cryptic entry:
	- imap: Various fixes to listing mailboxes.

Maybe that is what fixed things (I don't see this behavior in 2.2.6).

michael