[Dovecot] proxy, userdb and passdb

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Oct 26 18:14:25 EEST 2013

On 22.10.2013, at 13.13, Jogi Hofmüller <jogi at mur.at> wrote:

> Hi Steffen,
>
> Am 2013-10-22 10:05, schrieb Steffen Kaiser:
>
>> see http://wiki2.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase/ExtraFields
>
> Did, thanks.  The errors I mentioned in my previous post are gone. Still, proxying does not work as expected.  Instead I get strange warnings:
>
>  Oct 22 12:06:51 server dovecot: auth-worker(PID): Warning: userdb passwd: Move templates args to override_fields setting
>
> This is the proxy-userdb file's content (I removed the UID and IP address):
>
> user:::::::proxy=y host=IP-ADDRESS starttls=y nopassword=y
> passdb {
>  args = session=yes
>  driver = pam
> }
> userdb {
>  args = /etc/dovecot/proxy-userdb
>  driver = passwd
> }

1) Use passwd-file, not passwd

2) userdb has no effect on proxying, it must be passdb.

If you really want to keep using PAM, you need to use Dovecot v2.2 with an additional passdb configuring the proxying for the users. http://wiki2.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase#Passdb_settings explains more. It can’t be done with v2.1.