[Dovecot] Dovecot replication - I'm stuck

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Mon Oct 28 16:13:41 EET 2013

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 01:43:48AM +0100, IT geek 31 wrote:
> I've been following the wiki document at
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Replication, but I've become stuck.
>
> I'm running version 2.1.3 on NetBSD 5.2 (v2.2+ isn't available as a
> package yet, and compiling my own is well outside my wheelhouse).
>
> I have a couple of questions:
>
> The wiki page keeps referring to "vmail".  Is this a just system
> user I need to create?  Presumably on both Dovecot boxes?
>
> If I don't use virtual users, do I need this?

No. If you're using system users, each user owns his/her own mail.
Replication would have to be done as root (or of course by a special
user with sudo or other privilege escalation.)

Scroll further down that page to the part about "dsync wrapper script
for root SSH login (v2.2+)", but oops, you don't have 2.2. Sad. I
guess you'll either have to upgrade or figure out another way to do
this (probably out of Dovecot scope.)

> Here is my dovecot -n:
snip