[Dovecot] Getting back into Dovecot 2.2.5

Kai Hendry hendry at dabase.com
Mon Sep 2 07:04:16 EEST 2013

On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 02:37:04AM +0300, Andreas Kasenides wrote:
> mail_location=maildir:/var/spool/mail/%u
> first and see how it works before moving the INBOX separately from
> other boxes

That won't work:

	imap(hendry): Error: stat(/var/spool/mail/hendry/tmp) failed: Not a directory

> /var/mail/%u is a directory. It only becomes an mbox if you say so
> in Dovecot.

IIUC Postfix places by default mail in /var/mail/%u as an mbox.

sg:/etc/postfix$ sudo postconf | grep mail_spool
mail_spool_directory = /var/mail

I think the solution from looking around is to use dovecot as an lda.
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/LDA/Postfix

I guess that will solve my mbox to maildir problem. :-)

> Actually Dovecot will even auto-discover your mail in
> /var/mail/<username> among other locations (~Maildir,
> /var/mail/username, ~/mail, ~/Mail) if you leave mail_location
> empty.

I take that back. Dovecot without mail_location= seems to discover
/var/mail/$username.

> Solr is not the only option. The way I understand this is that this
> will heavily depend on your client, if it will make use of the
> Dovecot indexing, thefore speeding up operations. I use Thunderbird
> most of the time and I have no indexing on Dovecot. Searching is
> quite good.

I use mutt & Apple Mail IOS.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hendry/9652360692/

Thanks for replying! I will update