[Dovecot] Deleting messages with Mac Mail via IMAP

Tim Schneider tim.schneider at portabile.net
Tue Sep 3 20:11:40 EEST 2013

Hello mailing list subscribers!

When I delete a message in Mac Mail 6.5 (OS X 10.8.4),
with the option to move messages to the trash set in Mac Mail account preferences,
the message is copied to the trash, and markes as trashed in the cur/inbox directory on the server (STa flag in the file name).

My horde webmail then displays this messages correctly as trashed in the inbox.
However, I want the message to be gone from the inbox.

Quitting Mac Mail deletes it in the inbox reliably.

Is there any IMAP setting for dovecot to get move, and not copy and mark as trashed behavior?

Here are my dovecot settings:

# 2.1.7: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64 x86_64 Debian 7.1 ext4
auth_mechanisms = plain login
mail_location = maildir:/var/mail/vhosts/%d/%n
mail_privileged_group = mail
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date ihave
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
  driver = sql
}
plugin {
  sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve
  sieve_dir = ~/sieve
}
postmaster_address = admin at xxx.xxx
protocols = imap pop3 lmtp sieve
service auth-worker {
  user = vmail
}
service auth {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0666
    user = postfix
  }
  unix_listener auth-userdb {
    mode = 0600
    user = vmail
  }
  user = dovecot
}
service imap-login {
  inet_listener imap {
    port = 0
  }
  inet_listener imaps {
    port = 993
    ssl = yes
  }
}
service lmtp {
  unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-lmtp {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0600
    user = postfix
  }
}
service pop3-login {
  inet_listener pop3 {
    port = 0
  }
  inet_listener pop3s {
    port = 995
    ssl = yes
  }
}
ssl = required
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/mailportabile.pem
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/mailportabile.key
submission_host = localhost
userdb {
  args = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/var/mail/vhosts/%d/%n
  driver = static
}
protocol lda {
  mail_plugins = " sieve"