[Dovecot] Sieve, vacation, company (domain-wide) message possible?

Tue Sep 10 17:51:15 EEST 2013

On 2013-09-10 9:56 AM, Steffen Kaiser <skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Sep 2013, Charles Marcus wrote:
>> On 2013-09-09 8:29 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
>>> On Monday 09 September 2013 08:28:26 Charles Marcus did opine:

>>> I would be very careful about doing that.  You will wind up on the spam
>>> blocker lists & have a hell of a time getting back off them.

>> If it works exactly the same as normal vacation messages - doesn't
>> auto-reply to any type of list or other auto generated content, and
>> only replies once per day per sender (and for this company wide
>> responder if the same sender sends to more than one of our addresses,
>> they only get ONE response, not one for each recipient - why would
>> doing this at the company/domain level be any different?

> When you do this at delivery time (via Sieve), the sender gets one
> vacation response per recipient once in the configured period.
>
> If you setup a domain wide vacation responder at incoming level (aka
> postfix), the sender might get one central response and one per
> recipient, who setup a resonse on his/her own. (Say, because s/he is
> ill, on holiday, missed the global vacation setting or whatever.)
>
> Well, besides, it might be a nice extension for a global Sieve script,
> to choose from a dupe database, usually ~user/.dovecot.lda-dupes,
> _and_ the information, whether or not the current script already
> resonded. Then you could add an global "after" script, that makes the
> usual no-respond tests (bulk, spam, ...) and if no response by current
> script alreade and use a domain-wide lda-dupes file.

Yeah, vacation.pl checks an sql database for the whether the script has
already responded.

Also, I'd just as soon have the domain-wide response simply override the
user specific response, then once the domain-wide response is
deactivated, user specific ones start working again - but I see the
argument for the opposite - ie, if the domain-wide response is active
and a user has one of their own set, the users is the one sent, but if
not, then the domain-wide response is sent.

--

Best regards,

*/Charles/*