[Dovecot] Permission error

Koenraad Lelong dovecot at ace-electronics.be
Tue Sep 24 09:27:12 EEST 2013

Op 23-09-13 10:22, Reindl Harald schreef:

> Am 23.09.2013 09:33, schrieb Koenraad Lelong:
>> Op 16-09-13 11:48, Koenraad Lelong schreef:
>>> I just tried with chown nobody:nogroup auth-worker
>>> Now the error is gone.
>>> The question remains : what does create auth-worker ? The installer ?
>>> then I think ubuntu does it wrong.
>>
>> I'm sorry for the late reply but I'm not working full time on this migration.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I now experienced and remembered the fact that the /run or /var/run directories are temporary
>> directories, i.e. they are recreated on boot. Which means that the ownership is recreated on boot and in this case
>> set to dovecot:root. Which means dovecot can't access the "file"
>
> sounds like a systemd distribution
> man tmpfiles.d
>
> [root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/tmpfiles.d/dovecot.conf
> d /run/dovecot 0775 dovecot dovecot -

Thanks for the reply.

I don't know if Ubuntu 12.04 is systemd based. I didn't find tmpfiles.d
so I looked further. In dovecot.conf I finally found :

service auth {
     group = postfix
     mode = 0660
     user = postfix
   }
   unix_listener auth-master {
     group = vmail
     mode = 0660
     user = vmail
   }
   user = nobody
}

Notice that user=nobody. I commented that out, now it works.

Regards,

Koenraad Lelong