[Dovecot] Doveadm with a 2nd Instance

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Thu Sep 26 16:02:37 EEST 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 12:45:01AM -0400, Chris Lasater wrote:
> I am trying to use 2 instances of Dovecot on the same server so I
> can have a Director managing my connections, everything appears to
> be working, but I can not use doveadm to control my 2nd instance,
> but doveconf seems to work fine.

I have noticed the same thing. It seems that doveadm ignores -i.
"dovecot" works with -c /path/to/other/dovecot.conf, but it too
ignores -i.

We got the idea to try -i <instance_name> from
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Tools/Doveadm/Instance , but "doveadm help"
itself does not show a -i.

> I have stopped and started both my instances so the config running
> is what is in the config file, but when I use -i Director with
> doveadm it uses the other instances config.

And this is a big problem for trying to use "doveadm director"
commands when the director instance uses the nonstandard paths. I
haven't found a way to do that yet! "-c /path/to/other/dovecot.conf"
didn't work.

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Tools/Doveadm/Director

Currently on 2.2.5, about to switch to 2.2.6 EE. It seemed like it
worked back in 2.0.9 before upgrading.