[Dovecot] recipient_delimiter

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sat Sep 28 01:47:55 EEST 2013

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 15:54:41 -0500 (CDT)
Larry Stone articulated:

> On Fri, 27 Sep 2013, LuKreme wrote:
>
> >> Why use procmail when sieve is so much more powerful?
> >
> > First, I have a lot of procmail recipes over many years. Second,
> > there are quite a few things that sieve can?t do that procmail does
> > well (for just one example, calling external programs).
>
> One of the things I do with Procmail is look for certain key phrases
> in email to a particular special account and if found, send an email
> that includes the line containing that key phrase to my cell phone
> text message address. It's easy to do with Procmail and formail
> (which is part of the Procmail suite); I haven't a clue how to do
> that (if it's even possible) in Sieve.

Clue:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/sieve-extensions/sieve-extensions.xhtml

and

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sieve-body-00

More clues are available.

> I think those who advocate getting rid of Procmail in favor of Sieve
> are those whose interest is in sorting mail into folders. Those of us
> who advocate using Procmail are those who use Procmail for other
> purposes.

I have found very little that procmail can do that sieve cannot,
other than being a nightmare to debug if something goes wrong.

Just my 2¢.

--
Jerry ♔