[Dovecot] Dovecot not honoring configuration settings (auth failure)

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 02:28:15 UTC 2014

On Mon, 31 Mar 2014, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

>> Just to confirm, your <user> specified in the passdb corresponds to what
>> is being authenticated (i.e. client is authenticating as "jeff at foo.com",
>> not "jeff")?  Otherwise, you'll need to add domains to your passdb,
>> or configure "username_format=%n"
> Yes, I believe so:
>
> $ sudo cat /var/mail/foo.com/users
> # Generate passwords with:
> #   doveadm pw -s PLAIN -p <password>
>
> # Real users
> tad at foo.com:{PLAIN}some-password
> jeff at foo.com:{PLAIN}some-password

OK, I guess the next step is to see whether the dovecot auth process
is able to read the passdb file.  Does your dovecot auth process have
enough authorization to get/read to these files (check what dovecot/auth
runs as versus the file permissions of your passdb)?  "doveadm user
jeff at foo.com" checks the userdb, and if it coincides with your passdb,
might point out a problem.

Tracing the auth process might also help.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>