[Dovecot] Dovecot not honoring configuration settings (auth failure)

Tue Apr 1 10:22:51 UTC 2014

On 3/31/2014 5:47 PM, Jeffrey Walton <noloader at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 5:39 PM, Reindl Harald<h.reindl at thelounge.net>  wrote:
>> >and the settings are*really*  in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
>> >or in some ".d"-folder which may or may not be included?
> I believe they are in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:
>
> # cat /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf | grep -i auth_
> auth_mechanisms = plain login digest-md5 cram-md5
> #auth_proxy_self =

Jeffrey,

What you are missing is that there is a very good reason that ONLY the
output of doveconf -n is wanted here...

It proves that you are using the settings you think you are using.

simply cat'ing the contents of a file that you areediting is not good
enough.

Like postconf -n in postfix, doveconf -n dumps the output of the config
that the running version of dovecot is qactually using.

This shines the light on obvious errors, like when you are editing a
config file that is NOT being used. This is a common mistake, especially
in distributions that put things in non-standard places.

So, what is output of doveconf -n? And postconf -n (if needed)?

--

Best regards,

Charles