[Dovecot] Disable maildir indexing and dovecot-uidlist on LMTP/LDA delivery

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 22:36:18 UTC 2014

Jouko Nikula <jonikula at gmail.com> writes:

> Is there a way to use LMTP (or LDA) so that maildir index and
> dovecot-uidlist are not updated?
>
> My setup is such that mail delivery sees user's maildir as write only. This
> setup works well when using postfix for mail delivery, but when I try to
> switch to dovecot LMTP the lmtp process wants to read the dovecot-uidlist
> and fails on insufficient privileges. Is there a way around this without
> exposing the maildir and mail home  for read access?

You could create MEMORY indices e.g.

 	mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:INDEX=MEMORY

which will allow all the other processing like sieve to work.

However, I would look at the cause of the "insufficient privileges":
it is a symptom of something that could lead to other problems.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>