[Dovecot] Dovecot LDAP issue

Deeztek Support support at deeztek.com
Mon Apr 7 21:47:09 UTC 2014

On 4/7/2014 4:42 PM, Christian Schmidt wrote:
> 7.04.2014 20:43, Deeztek Support:

>>> Looks like a Postfix error, not Dovecot.
>>
>> I don't think so. Postfix already looks from the root of the AD down and
>> it has no problems. Dovecot does not authenticate at all if I simply put
>> the AD root in the ldap configuration file.
>
> "User unknown in virtual mailbox table" is what *postfix* tells you.
> Dovecot does not do SMTP (yet). Thus, I suppose that dovecot doesn't get
> involved at all (although this depends on your configuration).
>
> I recommend to check the restrictions you defined in your postfix
> configuration.
>
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen
> Christian Schmidt

The reason I think it's Dovecot generating the error is because when the
IP address of the sending server is not in the mynetworks directive of
postfix I get the following error:

Sender address rejected: not logged in> #SMTP#

When I do add the address of the sending server in mynetworks in
postfix, the email gets delivered. However, when that person tries to
reply to that email, they get the following error:

user unknown. Command
output: doveconf:

I realize that's a different error from my original message, I don't
remember exactly what I did so I can duplicate the previous error, but
the problem still persists. Dovecot is not able to lookup the recipient
from AD because the recipient is in a different container. I simply need
to find out how to get Dovecot to do LDAP lookups from the domain root.
When I set the domain root in base = dovecot stops doing ldap lookups
and it doesn't work at all.