[Dovecot] dsync deleted my mailbox - what did I do wrong?

Teemu Huovila teemu.huovila at dovecot.fi
Tue Apr 8 09:38:31 UTC 2014

Hello

Many different dsync issues have come up in this thread. Ill try to answer them as best as I can.

1) dsync backup -R
The conclusion reached in the thread was correct. Instead of the backup option, doveadm import would be better suited for
merging old mails into an existing mailbox.

2) Maildir + INBOX + backup/sync/replicate
In the test scenarios where the INBOX on one side was to be completely removed, e.g. doveadm backup -R the dsync failed and
nothing was synced to the target. This is because before moving the source mails to the mailbox, dsync cleans out the old ones (
-R preserves nothing) and in Maildir the INBOX can not be removed. This is a feature/not easily solvable, because in Maildir
INBOX is different from other folders.

3) dsync replication / doveadm sync not working as expected.
These came in pretty late in the thread and I did not get a full picture of what kind of setups and parameters were used. I
suspect these might be a configuration issue. I think trying with different configurations and going through the documentation,
such as it is, once more, is your best bet. Use -D and -v to make dsync more verbose, so you do not miss any error messages.

br,
Teemu Huovila