[Dovecot] dsync deleted my mailbox - what did I do wrong?

Nikolaos Milas nmilas at noa.gr
Tue Apr 8 14:20:38 UTC 2014

On 8/4/2014 4:47 μμ, Teemu Huovila wrote:

> I cant find any errors, but I might be missing something obvious. I only have a few suggestions for things to check.
>
> 1) You listed the config for one host (vmail i assume). Is the configuration similar on the vmail1 side? Especially, can the
> command dsync -u <user> find the correct location for the users mails?

Yes, mail is replicated in existing folders, but new subfolders don't
get replicated.

The config I listed was on the vmail (master) side, indeed. Config on
the vmail1 (replicated) side is identical except the replication parts.
I list it at the end of this mail for your reference.

> 2) For the replicator plugin scenario, does doveadm have access to auth, i.e. does doveadm user '*' work on both sides?

Yes. Everything is fine: 317 identical accounts on each side (read from
replicated LDAP).

> 3) Are the dovecot instances running on different hosts (dovecot --hostdomain is different)?

Yes: vmail.example.com vs vmail1.example.com

> 4) Instead of "dsync mirror", try using the v2.2 syntax "doveadm sync". Also, i_think_  you need to execute dsync-server on the
> other side, so your full command becomes:
> doveadm sync -u imaptester ssh -l root vmail1.example.com doveadm dsync-server -u imaptester
> Sadly, there is no man-page for doveadm sync yet.

OK, I ran the command:

doveadm -Dv sync -u imaptester ssh -l root vmail1.example.com doveadm
dsync-server -u imaptester

The output is similar. Still no subfolder sync (but individual messages
on existing subfolders get sync'ed):

dsync-local(imaptester): Debug: brain M: in box 'INBOX.boxtest'
recv_state=mailbox send_state=mailbox
dsync-local(imaptester): Debug: brain M: out box 'INBOX.boxtest'
recv_state=mailbox send_state=mailbox changed=0
dsync-local(imaptester): Debug: brain M: out state=sync_mails changed=0
dsync-local(imaptester): Debug: brain M: in state=sync_mails
dsync-local(imaptester): Debug: brain M: in box 'INBOX.boxtest'
recv_state=mailbox send_state=mailbox
dsync-local(imaptester): Debug: brain M: out box '' recv_state=mailbox
send_state=mailbox changed=1
dsync-local(imaptester): Debug: brain M: out state=master_send_mailbox
changed=1
dsync-local(imaptester): Debug: brain M: in state=master_send_mailbox
dsync-local(imaptester): Debug: brain M: out state=sync_mails changed=1
dsync-local(imaptester): Debug: brain M: in state=sync_mails

Please suggest any other ideas!

Thanks,
Nick

==================================   vmail1 Config file
==============================

# cat /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# 2.2.12: dovecot.conf

protocols = imap pop3

login_greeting = VMAIL1 POP/IMAP Srv XAPITI XPICTOY

mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir/
mail_gid = 5000
mail_uid = 5000

auth_mechanisms = plain login
auth_username_format = %Lu
auth_verbose = yes
disable_plaintext_auth = no

mail_plugins = quota

protocol imap {
   imap_client_workarounds = "delay-newmail  "
   mail_plugins = quota imap_quota
}

protocol pop3 {
   mail_max_userip_connections = 3
   mail_plugins = quota
   pop3_client_workarounds = outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
   pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv
}

protocol lda {
   auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
   info_log_path =
   log_path =
   mail_plugins = quota
   postmaster_address = sysadmin at example.com
   sendmail_path = /usr/lib/sendmail
}

userdb {
   args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-usrdb-ldap.conf
   driver = ldap
}

passdb {
   args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-passdb-ldap.conf
   driver = ldap
}

plugin {
   quota = maildir:User quota
   quota_rule = *:storage=4G
   quota_rule2 = Trash:storage=+3%%
   quota_warning = storage=75%% quota-warning 75 %u
   quota_warning2 = storage=90%% quota-warning 90 %u
}

service quota-warning {
   executable = script /opt/mail1.sh
   user = vmail
   unix_listener quota-warning {
     user = vmail
   }
}

service auth {
     group = postfix
     mode = 0660
     user = postfix
   }
   unix_listener auth-master {
     group = vmail
     mode = 0660
     user = vmail
   }
   user = root
}

service imap-login {
   service_count = 1
   vsz_limit = 64 M
}

service pop3-login {
   service_count = 1
   vsz_limit = 64 M
}

ssl_ca = </etc/pki/tls/certs/chain-2228.pem
ssl_cert = </etc/pki/tls/certs/cert-2228.pem
ssl_key = </etc/pki/tls/private/key-2228.pem

syslog_facility = local1