[Dovecot] How to disable Director service?

Wesley Huang huang at utsc.utoronto.ca
Thu Apr 17 18:35:38 UTC 2014

Hi All,

Does anyone know how to disable the Director service.  In our current
running Dovecot 2.2.4, if the director configuration is commented out
and Dovecot has no errors nor warnings. But the version 2.2.12 I'm
testing with gives out fatal errors.  We have dedicated Dovecot Director
servers that serve the public frontend and separate dedicated imap/pop3
servers on the backend internal network. With the new version, Dovecot
is always trying to start Director service and I couldn't find a way to
stop Dovecot from giving out errors.

1. When the entire Director configuration block is commented out, there
errors:

dovecot: director: Fatal: No inet_listeners defined for director service
(for standalone keep director_servers empty)
dovecot: master: Error: service(director): command startup failed,
throttling for 2 secs

2. When the director_servers line is configured as "*director_servers =
*", there errors:
dovecot: director: Error: Empty server list
dovecot: director: Fatal: Invalid value for director_mail_servers setting
master: Error: service(director): command startup failed, throttling for
2 secs

3.  If the director_servers and direcotr_mail_servers are configured the
same as our Director servers, there errors:
dovecot: director: Fatal: director_servers doesn't list ourself
dovecot: master: Error: service(director): command startup failed,
throttling for 2 secs

Does any one know how to disable this director service?  We don't need
the director service on the backend.

Cheers,

Wesley