[Dovecot] How to bring dovecot to using a slightly modified passwd file

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw at ithnet.com
Mon Apr 21 12:25:52 UTC 2014

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 13:38:59 +0200
Benny Pedersen <me at junc.eu> wrote:

> Stephan von Krawczynski skrev den 2014-04-21 09:33:
>
> > Or do I have to patch the source, and where if necessary?
>
> dovecot does not need passwd files, you can eg use any db that dovecot
> support, lets say sqlite, then you can make layout free of charge
>
> make a php wrapper that import flat filedb to sqlite, and another one to
> export sqlite to fliledb
>
> that would be heaven imho :)
>
> and at the same time a nice backup

Hello Benny,

there are good reasons why this is _not_ possible. The setup is complex and
lots of other software parts depend on the passwd file. Since they should all
be interacting it is no good idea to spread the same data over several
"databases". Furthermore we are not talking about _one_ passwd-like file but
thousands (one for every domain).
Believe me, I thought about it before asking exactly this question and not for
some solution.
If there is no chance to convince Timo for something like a passwd-scheme
parameter useful for more people than just me I will probably rewrite the
stuff myself. Nevertheless if someone kindly points me to the right piece of
code I could save some hours searching for it myself...

--
Regards,
Stephan