[Dovecot] How to bring dovecot to using a slightly modified passwd file

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw at ithnet.com
Mon Apr 21 16:02:27 UTC 2014

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 17:26:13 +0200
Andreas Schulze <sca at andreasschulze.de> wrote:

> Stephan von Krawczynski:
> > If there is no chance to convince Timo for something like a passwd-scheme
> > parameter useful for more people than just me I will probably rewrite the
> > stuff myself. Nevertheless if someone kindly points me to the right piece of
> > code I could save some hours searching for it myself...
> Stephan,
>
> I'm not aware on any function you need to specify the passwd layout.
> So a short solution would be a patch to dovecot.
>
> A more general solution could be a separate scheme beside
> the existing auth backends http://wiki2.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase
> or a mechanism to specify passwd fields as you suggested.
>
> Andreas

Hello Andreas,

I am well aware of the several possibilities around passwd and userdb. The
thing is I want to avoid using scripts or an external binary (which would be
possible) for performance reasons. I think the internal passwd file handling
from dovecot would be best. It should be pretty easy to do a patched version
where only the fields are replaced by the ones my passwd files use.

--
Regards,
Stephan