[Dovecot] Can't find sieve files

Chris Kottaridis chriskot at quietwind.net
Tue Apr 22 22:52:31 UTC 2014

I have been running dovecot on a Fedora 14 host for years and am moving
up to Fedora 19.

I have things setup to run as a generic user vmail and have all users
mailboxes in /var/vmail which is owned by the vmail user. Each user has
a Maildir directory and a sieve directory. I also changed sendmail's
procmail to run dovecot so it delivers into /var/vmail/<user>/Maildir
instead of /var/spool/mail.

I just copied the /var/vmail directory from the old machine to the new
machine and made all the files there owned by vmail that had the same
uid. I then compared the /etc/dovecot/conf.d files and made changes to
ty and match the previous configuration as much as possible.

I can send mail to a local user and se it show up in the users INBOX.
However, when I watch /var/log/maillog when I send the mail I see errors
like this:
---------------------
script /var/vmail//ckottari/sieve/Active.sieve;name=main script (view
user logfile /var/vmail//ckottari/sieve/Active.sieve.log for more
information)
Apr 22 17:05:46 ckottari-dhcp1 dovecot: lda(ckottari):
msgid=<201404222205.s3MM5jJs003128 at ckottari-dhcp1.wrs.com>: saved mail
to INBOX
---------------------

When I look at Active.sieve.log:
sieve: info: started log at Apr 22 17:05:46.
main script: line 8: error: included personal script 'My RRs.sieve' does
not exist.
main script: line 9: error: included personal script 'RCPL.sieve' does
not exist.
main script: line 10: error: included personal script 'New_Incomplete
Messages.sieve' does not exist.

Basically, I get an error message for all my scripts that get included
by the Active.sieve. The Active.sieve file and all the scripts exist in
the /var/vmail/<user>/sieve directory and sieve_dir is set to ~/sieve.
So, I am not sure why it can't find them if it can find Active.sieve.

Below is my configuration output. This has been working for years in my
Fedora 14 host without errors. But, there are some configuration
differences that I just kind of guessed at.

Any ideas on how to get sieve working would be appreciated.

$ dovecot -n
# 2.2.12: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 3.13.5-101.fc19.x86_64 x86_64 Fedora release 19
(Schrödinger’s Cat)
login_trusted_networks = 172.25.33.32/5
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:LAYOUT=fs
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope
encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric
relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify
environment mailbox date ihave
mbox_write_locks = fcntl
namespace inbox {
inbox = yes
location =
mailbox Drafts {
special_use = \Drafts
}
mailbox Junk {
special_use = \Junk
}
mailbox Sent {
special_use = \Sent
}
mailbox "Sent Messages" {
special_use = \Sent
}
mailbox Trash {
special_use = \Trash
}
prefix =
}
passdb {
args = dovecot
driver = pam
}
plugin {
sieve = ~/sieve/Active.sieve
sieve_dir = ~/sieve
}
protocols = imap sieve
ssl = required
ssl_cert = </etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </etc/pki/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
args = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/var/vmail/%n
driver = passwd
}
protocol lda {
mail_plugins = " sieve"