[Dovecot] Can't find sieve files

Chris Kottaridis chriskot at quietwind.net
Wed Apr 23 04:23:59 UTC 2014

On 04/22/2014 07:10 PM, Stephan Bosch wrote:
> On 4/23/2014 12:52 AM, Chris Kottaridis wrote:
>> Basically, I get an error message for all my scripts that get included
>> by the Active.sieve. The Active.sieve file and all the scripts exist in
>> the /var/vmail/<user>/sieve directory and sieve_dir is set to ~/sieve.
>> So, I am not sure why it can't find them if it can find Active.sieve.
> Enable mail_debug=yes. This way, Dovecot should log where it is looking
> for the Sieve files.

Well indeed that was helpful in the log file I see:

Apr 22 22:51:48 ckottari-dhcp1 dovecot: lda(ckottari): Debug: sieve:
script file /var/vmail/ckottari/sieve/My RRs.sieve.sieve not found
Apr 22 22:51:48 ckottari-dhcp1 dovecot: lda(ckottari): Debug: sieve:
script file /var/vmail/ckottari/sieve/RCPL.sieve.sieve not found

Seems in this version it assumes the files will end in .sieve and I
guess that previously they had to have the whole filename in the include
statement. So, I removed the .sieve in the include statements:

include :personal "My RRs.sieve";
include :personal "RCPL.sieve";

include :personal "My RRs";
include :personal "RCPL";

Seems to do it since I get a successful compile now:

Apr 22 23:01:12 ckottari-dhcp1 dovecot: lda(ckottari): Debug: sieve:
binary open: binary /var/vmail/ckottari/sieve/Active.svbin stored with
different binary version 0.3 (!= 1.0; automatically fixed when re-compiled)
Apr 22 23:01:12 ckottari-dhcp1 dovecot: lda(ckottari): Debug: sieve:
script `main script' from
/var/vmail/ckottari/sieve/Active.sieve;name=main script successfully
compiled

>> plugin {
>> sieve = ~/sieve/Active.sieve
>> sieve_dir = ~/sieve
>> }
> This is not a good idea. Don't put the active script link (sieve=)
> inside the script storage (sieve_dir=). There is special magic to
> prevent the Active script from showing up in ManageSieve as an
> additional script, but it is best to avoid this situation altogether.
OK, I moved Active.sieve out of the sieve_dir directory and relinked to
the Main.sieve that is in the sieve directory.

The only other issue is the following Warning I get that doesn't seem to
prevent anything, but probably means I don't have something correct:

Apr 22 23:21:30 ckottari-dhcp1 dovecot: auth: Warning: userdb passwd:
Move templates args to override_fields setting
Apr 22 23:21:30 ckottari-dhcp1 dovecot: auth-worker(5089): Warning:
userdb passwd: Move templates args to override_fields setting

Not exactly sure what these warning messages are trying to tell me.

Thanks
Chris Kottaridis