autocreate mailboxes

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Aug 2 20:45:05 UTC 2014

On 02 Aug 2014, at 00:26, Gedalya <gedalya at gedalya.net> wrote:

> On 08/01/2014 04:54 PM, Mike Pultz wrote:
>> I wanted to take advantage of the mailbox option to auto create and auto
>> subscribe users to a Sent and Trash folder (using the support for the
>> special use flags), but ideally, I only want to do this for new mailboxes,
>> and not for all the mailboxes that already exist on the system.
>
> I guess this could be done with extra fields: http://wiki2.dovecot.org/UserDatabase/ExtraFields
>
> The syntax being something like namespace/inbox/mailbox/Sent/special_use=\Sent ..? Or something like that. Note the userdb_import facility for passing multiple options.
>
> **I wonder if it wouldn't be useful to be able to create configuration sections and activate them with a single, simple extra field rather than pass the entire section itself?
> In a similar manner to protocol imap { }, maybe we can have $extra_options1 == "yes" { } and pass extra_options1 = yes as an extra field?

Maybe, but could be a lot of work. For this case however it's easy. Create two namespaces:

namespace inbox {
  prefix =
  inbox = yes
  mailbox Sent {
    auto = create
  }
  # ..etc..
}
namespace old {
  prefix =
  inbox = yes
  disabled = yes
}

Then in the extra field you can just set namespace/inbox/disabled=yes and namespace/old/disabled=no