Defer email via LMTP when there is 'no space left on device' instead of rejecting it

Christian Rohmann crohmann at netcologne.de
Mon Aug 11 22:18:44 UTC 2014

> Luuk <dovecot at vosslamber.nl> hat am 10. August 2014 um 18:24 geschrieben:
> Quota should be set according to some rules, and never be raised because
> of a 'quota reached'.
> What is the use of 'quota' if the admin raises your quota when things
> are full?

Guys, you are mixing up user quota and the "disk full" or better "no space left
on device" situation.
The whole point of my question or rather "feature request" was, to change the
behavior of Dovecot when the whole disk (read: affects all users,regardless of
their set quota and its current usage) is full and there is no space left to
store any new messages.

Dovecot already does support to either reject or defer on a reached quota of a
particular user. The problem I was talking about is the agreeably rather seldom
admin f&$"-up of not properly maintaining the disk space or any other resource.
But in the end, I hate to punish users (a.k.a "people") and send them looking
for their bounced email because of this very temporary problem.

Regards

Christian