Defer email via LMTP when there is 'no space left on device' instead of rejecting it

Jiri Bourek bourek at thinline.cz
Mon Aug 11 21:51:29 UTC 2014

On 10.8.2014 06:18, Will Yardley wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 01:31:47AM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
>> Problems that admins can solve are temporary errors for users and
>> the'll need an error logged. Problems that are caused by users
>> themselves (like over quota) are usually not temporary errors and they
>> shouldn't have errors logged (since admin can't usually do anything
>> about them anyway).
>
> Depends on the environment; in many cases, the admin could, or may even
> be expected to, raise the quota.

If you're expected to raise the quota in case it's exceeded, don't set
it in the first place, there is no point to it. Or - if you really want
that exercise in futility - use quota_warning and raise it automatically.

As for running out of disk space completely - well I assume you're using
some kind of monitoring service, so just add a check for free disk space
and you're done. There's really no need to cover this in Dovecot.