Defer email via LMTP when there is 'no space left on device' instead of rejecting it

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at LINworks.de
Tue Aug 12 11:04:55 UTC 2014

On -10.01.-28163 20:59, Jiri Bourek wrote:
> On 10.8.2014 06:18, Will Yardley wrote:
>> Depends on the environment; in many cases, the admin could, or may even
>> be expected to, raise the quota.
>
> If you're expected to raise the quota in case it's exceeded, don't set
> it in the first place, there is no point to it. Or - if you really want
> that exercise in futility - use quota_warning and raise it automatically.

Where exactly did you read "automatically"?

Users need reminders not to be disk hogs. Managers want to be asked
before company resources get allocated. Sysadmins may want to verify
that it's actually the *user* using the disk space and not some software
or e-mail problem. Quotas and their getting exceeded provide a hook for
all these (non computer-only) procedures, even if the quota eventually
*does* get raised for all cases of proper need.

> As for running out of disk space completely - well I assume you're using
> some kind of monitoring service, so just add a check for free disk space
> and you're done. There's really no need to cover this in Dovecot.

dovecot already has code to detect this situation because catching
potential error conditions is what well-written software *does*. The
request at hand is about how exactly it should propagate the error back
to its client.

Regards,
								J. Bern
--
*NEU* - NEC IT-Infrastruktur-Produkte im <http://www.linworks-shop.de/>:
Server--Storage--Virtualisierung--Management SW--Passion for Performance
Jochen Bern, Systemingenieur --- LINworks GmbH <http://www.LINworks.de/>
Postfach 100121, 64201 Darmstadt | Robert-Koch-Str. 9, 64331 Weiterstadt
PGP (1024D/4096g) FP = D18B 41B1 16C0 11BA 7F8C DCF7 E1D5 FAF4 444E 1C27
Tel. +49 6151 9067-231, Zentr. -0, Fax -299 - Amtsg. Darmstadt HRB 85202
Unternehmenssitz Weiterstadt, Geschäftsführer Metin Dogan, Oliver Michel