Fatal: master: service(imap): child 28145 killed with signal 11 (core dumped) -- started happening after upgrade last night

Ben Johnson ben at indietorrent.org
Mon Aug 18 12:36:04 UTC 2014

On 8/17/2014 5:11 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 15 Aug 2014, at 21:53, Ben Johnson <ben at indietorrent.org> wrote:
>
>> # gdb /usr/lib/dovecot/imap /var/vmail/example.com/user/core
>> Reading symbols from /usr/lib/dovecot/imap...(no debugging symbols
>> found)...done.
>> [New LWP 27866]
>> [Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
>> Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".
>> Core was generated by `dovecot/imap'.
>> Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
>> #0  0x00007f034d987a3e in array_idx_modifiable_i () from
>> /usr/lib/dovecot/libdovecot.so.0
>
> What about also giving the command "bt full"? Also having dovecot-dbg package installed before that would make it even more helpful.

Thanks for getting right back on this, Timo. I really appreciate it.

After looking at the output, this seems related to dovecot-antispam plug-in.

Just an observation: I sent another message to the list a few days
before this message, describing an unhandled exit scenario where
dovecot-antispam plug-in is concerned ("Re: Backtrace io_add(0x1) called
twice fd= (was Exit status code 134; what is it, in the context of
Dovecot Antispam plug-in?)", and another user submitted a similar
message with subject "antispam plugin crash".

Anyway, here's the output with a slightly newer version of the dovecot
packages (they wanted to be upgraded again when installing dovecot-dbg):

Reading symbols from /usr/lib/dovecot/imap...Reading symbols from
/usr/lib/debug//usr/lib/dovecot/imap...done.
done.
[New LWP 18372]
#0  array_idx_modifiable_i (array=0xc8, idx=1) at array.c:12
12      array.c: No such file or directory.

And here is the output of "bt full". I'll include this output without
having to be asked in the future; this is my first bug report for
dovecot, and I thank you for your patience as I learn what's helpful to you.

http://pastebin.com/XWcHZiV5

Thanks again,

-Ben