Missing metadata on Dovecot 2.2.14, on Kolab 3.3, Centos 6.6

Max Raafat maxraafat at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 00:53:21 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

We were trying to provision a system with Dovecot instead of another
working cyrus kolab system.

I am stuck with a problem with the metadata, especially when it comes to
the Special Folders in Kolab 3.3, like Calenders, Tasks, etc, as well as
any user created Folders.

Emails work perfectly, and all the types are correct. But for example, If I
try to change the type of Calenders, or create a new folder from inside
roundcube and set it to type  "Calenders", it stays at the default which is
"mail". Therefore it causes problems, when sharing events, since they are
displayed as "mail" type and not "event" type. We've tracked the problem
down to the metadata not existing for special folders. A simple search only
shows the default "mail" metadata, but nothing for shared folders, or
special folders, etc.

Here is the doveconf -n

[root at m3 ~]# doveconf -n
# 2.2.14: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32-504.el6.x86_64 x86_64 CentOS release 6.6 (Final)
imap_metadata = yes
mail_attribute_dict = file:Maildir/dovecot-metadata
mail_gid = 5000
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
mail_plugins = " acl"
mail_uid = 5000
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character
vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags
copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date ihave
mbox_write_locks = fcntl
namespace {
  list = children
  location = maildir:%%h/Maildir:INDEX=~/Maildir/shared/%%u
  prefix = shared/%%u/
  separator = /
  type = shared
}
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
  separator = /
}
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/master-users
  driver = passwd-file
  master = yes
  pass = yes
}
passdb {
  driver = shadow
}
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf.ext
  driver = ldap
}
plugin {
  acl = vfile
  acl_shared_dict = file:/var/lib/dovecot/db/shared-mailboxes.db
  sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve
  sieve_dir = ~/sieve
}
protocols = imap pop3 lmtp sieve
service auth {
    mode = 0666
  }
  unix_listener auth-userdb {
    group = vmail
    user = vmail
  }
}
service dict {
  unix_listener dict {
    group = vmail
    mode = 0666
    user = vmail
  }
}
service lmtp {
  executable = lmtp
  unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-lmtp {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0660
    user = postfix
  }
}
service managesieve-login {
  inet_listener sieve {
    address = 127.0.0.1 ::1
    port = 4190
  }
}
service managesieve {
  process_limit = 1024
}
ssl = required
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/m3.company.includingchain.crt
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/m3.company.de.key
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}
userdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf.ext
  driver = ldap
}
protocol lmtp {
  mail_plugins = " acl sieve"