Error: mremap_anon(###) failed: Cannot allocate memory

Teemu Huovila teemu.huovila at dovecot.fi
Mon Dec 8 08:07:40 UTC 2014

On 12/08/2014 02:54 AM, Andy Dills wrote:

> We're running dovecot 2.2.15 with pigeonhole 0.4.6, in a clustered
> environment, nfs with proxy and backend on all servers.
>
> I've been seeing some odd errors from lmtp:
>
> Error: mremap_anon(127930368) failed: Cannot allocate memory
>
> It seems to affect specific users, but it doesn't seem to manifest in any
> particular way; no user complaints. Just the occasional log message.
A config would always be useful, but I can venture a guess. Perhaps the affected users have a dovecot.index.cache file
somehwere, e.g. under INBOX, that is larger than the memory limit for the lmtp process. Try increasing "default_vsz_limit" or
the "service lmtp { vsz_limit }". Removing the overly large index cache file should also, temporarily, help. In case you do not
get this error from the imap/pop3 processes, perhaps you have already set a higher vsz_limit for those?

br,
Teemu Huovila