Migrate with Dsync

Randall Gellens dovecot at randy.pensive.org
Sat Dec 13 20:01:49 UTC 2014

I tried putting a config file into /etc/dovecot/conf.d/90-dsync.conf,
figuring that dovecot.conf would pick it up with the '!include
conf.d/*.conf' line, but it didn't get picked up.  I have no idea why.

What is the difference between the two web pages:
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Migration/Dsync which says to run dysnc via
doveadm, e.g., 'doveadm -o mail_fsync=never sync -1 -R -u user at domain
imapc:', and http://linux.die.net/man/1/dsync, which says to run
'dynch'?  The latter shows a dsync option '-F' to disable fast
syncing, for example.

Also, is there an option to run dsync in test mode, e.g., to have it
show what it thinks needs to be done, without actually doing it?  I'm
a bit afraid of just running it, since I am not sure that the '-R'
option means that the mail gets moved from the remote IMAP server to
the dovecot server.

Finally, is there a way to have dsync prompt for a user password?  I
need to do per-user migration (no master account on the remote
system) and prefer not to type plain text passwords on command lines
nor in config files.

Thanks!

--
Randall Gellens