Configuring LMTP/IMAP proxy

Manuel Delgado manuel.delgado at ucr.ac.cr
Tue Dec 23 04:02:36 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 12:06 PM, Le Moing, Guenhaël <
guenhael.le-moing at capgemini.com> wrote:

> So my main question are :
>

> 1)      I just made a test and changed  "lmtp_proxy" to "yes" in my
> 20_lmtp.cong file, but, strangely, this did not cah nge anything ! The LMTP
> process still receives mails and stores them on the local host ,
>
> 2)      Are there any documentation describing this process in details ? I
> only found some pieces on wiki pages, but not enough unfortunately ...
>
> 3)      Are there some configuratiion files ready to use for my
> configuration.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Cordialement.
>
> Guenhaël.
> person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you
> are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute,
> or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in
> error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this
> message.

Hi Guenhaël

I was working in a project with 2 "front-end" servers (POP3/IMAP/LMTP
proxy) and 2 "back-end" servers (Mailbox). I configured Director[1] in the
proxies to reduce conflicts and master-password[2]. My proxies don't have
userdb nor location because they do not store emails, those configs are in
the back-end.
My backend is an "standalone" Dovecot but with master-password allowed in
trusted networks as described in the wiki[2][3].
Also, I configured PoolMon[4] in all proxies and added Debian/Ubuntu
scripts[5].

[... I removed some configs for short...]

------------ PROXY doveconf --------------
[...]
director_mail_servers = 10.0.0.74 10.0.0.75
director_servers = 10.0.0.72 10.0.0.73
doveadm_port = 24245
lmtp_proxy = yes
passdb {
  driver = pam
  override_fields = proxy=y ssl=any-cert master=proxy at alpha.mydomain.com
pass=<PASSWORD-PROXY-MASTER>
}
service director {
  fifo_listener login/proxy-notify {
    mode = 0600
    user = $default_login_user
  }
  inet_listener {
    port = 9090
  }
  unix_listener director-userdb {
    mode = 0600
  }
  unix_listener login/director {
    mode = 0666
  }
}
service doveadm {
  inet_listener {
    port = 24245
  }
}
service imap-login {
  executable = imap-login director
  [...]
}
service ipc {
  unix_listener ipc {
    user = dovecot
  }
}
service lmtp {
  executable = lmtp -L
  [...]
}
service pop3-login {
  executable = pop3-login director
  [...]
}
protocol lmtp {
  auth_socket_path = director-userdb
  [...]
}
protocol doveadm {
  auth_socket_path = director-userdb
}
local 10.0.0.0/24/24 {
  doveadm_password = <PASSWORD-DOVEADM>
  doveadm_port = 24245
}
----------------- END --------------------------------------

Not sure if this will work for you but maybe it helps you to get an idea.

Regards,
Manuel Delgado

*Usuario Linux* *#520940 <http://counter.li.org/>*

Bach. Computación e Informática