Configuring LMTP/IMAP proxy

Le Moing, Guenhaël guenhael.le-moing at capgemini.com
Mon Dec 22 18:06:22 UTC 2014

Hi,
First, my version:

[root at centos1 conf.d]# dovecot --version
2.2.15
[root at centos1 conf.d]#

I have already configured dovecot that way (on one single VM, so everythinh is stored on the same machine)

-          A post fix server sending out to LMTP

-          LMTP is the dovecot LMTP server, configured with "lmtp-proxy= no",

-          LMTP checks the users receiving messages by using Linux passwd file "userdb"  section in auth-passwdfile.conf.ext,

-          IMAP LOGINS are authenticated using DIGEST-MD5 also configured in auth-passwdfile.conf.ext :

-
# Authentication for passwd-file users. Included from 10-auth.conf.
#
# passwd-like file with specified location.
# <doc/wiki/AuthDatabase.PasswdFile.txt>

passdb {
  driver = passwd-file
  args = scheme=DIGEST-MD5 username_format=%n /etc/dovecot/users.DIGEST-MD5
#args = scheme=CRAM-MD5 username_format=%n /etc/dovecot/users.CRAM-MD5
}

userdb {
  driver = passwd

  # Default fields that can be overridden by passwd-file
  #default_fields = quota_rule=*:storage=1G
default_fields = uid=root gid=root home=/home/%n

  # Override fields from passwd-file
  #override_fields = home=/home/virtual/%u
}

This works fine, I can send messages through SMTP, and read them using IMAP access.

But now, I woukd like to have  amore structured architecture with :

-          A LMTP server configured as PROXY : has to identify the user, and proxy the request to the backen LMTP server (where its mailbox will stand)

-          On backend, I also have  to start another  LMTP serevr, but not configured in proxy mode of course,

-          Same for IMAP : IMAP proxy first checking LOGIN credentials, and then forwarding to IMAP server running on backend.

As a first step, I would like to continue using my files to authenticate uses (so passwd file , and users.DIGEST-MD5), but final goal will be using a MySQL DB.

So my main question are :

1)      I just made a test and changed  "lmtp_proxy" to "yes" in my 20_lmtp.cong file, but, strangely, this did not cah nge anything ! The LMTP process still receives mails and stores them on the local host ,

2)      Are there any documentation describing this process in details ? I only found some pieces on wiki pages, but not enough unfortunately ...

3)      Are there some configuratiion files ready to use for my configuration.

Thanks in advance.

Cordialement.

Guenhaël.