Awfully slow dovecot

Marc Stürmer mail at marc-stuermer.de
Fri Dec 26 10:35:05 UTC 2014

Zitat von Benny Pedersen <me at junc.eu>:

> using dovecot 1.2.17 here with maildir, still have to see
> performance issues, but yes will move to ssd soon, i will just fix
> problems that are here, not things that are not a problem, the above
> will kill my server, so need to have an intel i7 with 25MB L1 cache,
> so far i just keep it simple

Look... if you want to get a real speedup in I/O on the same hardware
without getting a SSD, you should grab yourself a recent dovecot
version (2.2.X), enable gzip compression and switch over to mdbox.

Maildir is fine as long as you don't have too much mail on your
storage, but there comes a point when you are getting big enough where
Maildir really isn't going to behave really nicely anymore, because
too many files and way too many seeks. Mdbox is quite different and
scales beyond the point of Maildir with ease.