[Dovecot] How to archive mails on different server

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Wed Feb 5 13:09:53 UTC 2014

Am 05.02.2014 13:50, schrieb Anant Saraswat:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I want to make some new changes to my exim mail server So if any user
> archive his/her mail they will save on any other server not on Exim
> server , and whenever user want to search for any old mail he will go to
> archive folder and can search it from there.... So basically i want to
> setup a diffrent server for archiving and want to connect it to my Exim
> server. So whevever user archive his/her mail it will autometically save
> to diffrent server.
>
> So is it possible using any plugin , or something else . I am using
> Roundcube,Exim 4.72, Dovecot(LMTP).
>
> Regards,
> Anant Saraswat

perhaps use some always bc feature with exim, and mount mailstore from
different server ( via internal network etc ) and use acl with shared
namespace for a archive account etc like

orig account: user.name at domain.de

archive account: archive.user.name at archive.domain.de

but to be honest such solution "smells" complicated

not sure what else is possible with exim, wait for other/better solution
example from the list

perhaps look ( sorry only german ) , for archive ideas with postfix

http://sys4.de/de/blog/2013/02/07/mailarchiv-mit-dovecot-und-postfix-sortiert-nach-datum-mailadressen-und-ein-ausgehend-unterordnern/

or perhaps you might look stuff with alternate storage

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/dbox

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

--