[Dovecot] can not see public mailbox

David Mehler dave.mehler at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 20:43:43 UTC 2014

Hello,

I'm running Dovecot2 and trying to set up public mailboxes. I've got a
virtual user system set up with postfix and using MySQL
authentication. I'm wanting to create several public mailboxes for
shared messages. I've followed the wiki and have the public folder
created. I've got a folder /home/vmail/public/public1 public1 being
the maildir of the public mailbox.

I can see in my folder list of my webmail client the root public
folder but I can't change in to it and I can not see the public1
public mailbox.

I'm using one user vmail set up for this setup, permissions on the
public1 folder allow the vmail user to read and execute.

In public1 I have a file dovecot-acl which has the user attempting to
access the public folder with the flags l and r.

Below is my config with doveconf -n. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.
Dave.

# 2.1.16: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 3.12.6-x86-linode55 i686 Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) ext3
dict {
  quota = mysql:/etc/dovecot/dovecot-dict-sql.conf.ext
}
first_valid_gid = 5000
first_valid_uid = 5000
hostname = xxx
last_valid_gid = 5000
last_valid_uid = 5000
lda_mailbox_autocreate = yes
lda_mailbox_autosubscribe = yes
listen = *
mail_gid = vmail
mail_home = /home/vmail/%d/%n/home
mail_location = maildir:/home/vmail/%d/%n:LAYOUT=fs
mail_plugins = " acl quota zlib"
mail_uid = vmail
maildir_very_dirty_syncs = yes
namespace {
  list = yes
  location = maildir:/home/vmail/public:LAYOUT=fs
  prefix = Public/
  separator = /
  subscriptions = yes
  type = public
}
namespace inbox {
  hidden = no
  inbox = yes
  list = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
  separator = /
  subscriptions = yes
  type = private
}
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
  driver = sql
}
plugin {
  acl = vfile
  autocreate = Spam
  autosubscribe = Spam
  quota = dict:User quota::proxy::quota
  quota_rule = *:storage=1G
  quota_rule2 = Trash:storage=+100M
  quota_warning = storage=95%% quota-warning 95 %u
  quota_warning2 = storage=80%% quota-warning 80 %u
}
postmaster_address = postmaster at xxx
protocols = imap
service auth {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0660
    user = postfix
  }
  unix_listener auth-userdb {
    mode = 0600
    user = vmail
  }
}
service dict {
  unix_listener dict {
    mode = 0600
    user = vmail
  }
}
service imap-login {
  inet_listener imap {
    address = 127.0.0.1 ::1
  }
  inet_listener imaps {
    address = xxx xxx
    ssl = yes
  }
}
service quota-warning {
  executable = script /usr/local/bin/quota-warning.sh
  user = vmail
}
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/server.crt
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/server.key
userdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
  driver = sql
}
protocol lda {
  mail_plugins = " acl quota zlib quota"
}
protocol imap {
  mail_plugins = " acl quota zlib autocreate imap_acl imap_quota imap_zlib"
}