[Dovecot] Status

Roland Rosenfeld rrosenfeld at netcologne.de
Wed Feb 12 13:12:16 UTC 2014

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> > may I nag you again with this idea of self healing the file names
> > / size of zlib compressed maildir files for version >= 2.2.11?

> That's quite a lot of work for fixing something that shouldn't
> really be happening in the first place. I think those problems only
> happen once immediately after enabling zlib plugin and for some
> reason having the wrong (or missing) S=sizes in maildir filenames?

As far as I can reproduce my problems, this usually happens, if you
have a cluster of servers with mail_plugins=zlib enabled, forgot to
enable zlib of one of the servers and enable zlib_save.

The zlib enabled servers write compressed mails to disk with correct
S-Value.

If you access these compressed mails via the server without zlib
plugin, this server will rename the mails to a corrupt S-value, which
implies that none of the zlib enabled servers can read the mails any
more nor repair them.

Yes, I know, that this a layer 8 problem, but I would sleep better
when I'd know that dovecot can repair this issue for me be fixing the
S-value automatically.

> Running http://dovecot.org/tools/maildir-size-fix.pl for all users
> once should fix that. So I don't really see this worth spending time
> on.

This may work on a private site, but not on a big cluster.  There a
missing zlib plugin will faster break your mailboxes than your script
can find the broken boxes...

Tschoeeee

        Roland

--
Roland Rosenfeld  -  Teamverantwortlicher Content Delivery  -  NED  -  Technik
NETCOLOGNE Gesellschaft für Telekommunikation mbH