[Dovecot] Filtering spam in an offlineimap + dovecot setup

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Thu Feb 13 07:22:38 UTC 2014

Hello Tom,

Tom Hendrikx <tom at whyscream.net> writes:

> You could simply enable sieve in the dovecot environment. The
> offlineimap + dovecot setup you have running already can be left
> mostly intact: it has nothing to do with offlineimap.
>
> You could just setup sieve per the dovecot wiki guidelines, and then
> create a sieve script that uses the ext_programs plugin to call dspam
> (or any other filter that adds headers and is able to print the
> message including those added headers to stdout).

Thank you for the suggestion. This is indeed what I'm trying to do.

> I'm not sure if it's necessary to do the delivery to dovecot using
> Dovecot's deliver LDA, or that you can keep using the
> '...libexec/dovecot/imap' binary for that in order to have sieve
> support. Maybe someone else can fill that in.

This is the crux of my question, I guess. Right now I don't deliver any
mail, but use offlineimap to keep a local imap server (dovecot) in sync
with a remote one. So my questions are:
1. Can I use dovecot's sieves if I don't deliver mail?
2. If not, how can I hook up offlineimap and dovecot so that mail is
delivered instead of synchronized?

Thanks,

Alan