[Dovecot] Filtering spam in an offlineimap + dovecot setup

Damon Haley dkh at member.fsf.org
Thu Feb 13 15:52:54 UTC 2014

> This is the crux of my question, I guess. Right now I don't deliver any
> mail, but use offlineimap to keep a local imap server (dovecot) in sync with
> a remote one. So my questions are: 1. Can I use dovecot's sieves if I don't
> deliver mail?  2. If not, how can I hook up offlineimap and dovecot so that
> mail is delivered instead of synchronized?

Alan, you can use sieve with dovecot in an offline imap setup.

All you have to do is compile sieve into dovecot:

wget http://pigeonhole.dovecot.org/releases/2.2/dovecot-2.2-pigeonhole-0.4.2.tar.gz

untar it

cd /usr/local/src/dovecot-2.2-pigeonhole-0.4.2/

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/pigeonhole/0.4.0 --with-dovecot=/usr/local/opt/dovecot/lib/dovecot
make && make install

I did this on a Macbook with dovecot installed from hombrew.

Whenever imap process is launched by my mail client it automatically sorts my
INBOX based on sieve rules.

I can also do this manually:

sieve-filter -e -W -v -C -u $USER ~/Messages/dovecot.sieve 'INBOX'

Hope that is of some help.

Damon