[Dovecot] lda+ldap multiple users

Bob Miller bob at computerisms.ca
Mon Feb 17 19:19:41 UTC 2014

Hi,

> so not much to do on the qmail side. and thats the reason everything
> user related is done in dovecot itself.

ok

> ...but if nobody knows if its possible inside the dovecot lookup
> process, a new/seperate lookup process that calls dovecot-lda with the
> username instead of the mailaddress might be the only opportunity.

As I understand the original problem, you need one mail to be delivered
to several users, which means you need to figure out how to alias or
forward.  Steffen's approach is a super good idea I intend to stuff into
my back pocket, and is probably worth pursuing given your usage case.

Other than that, and based on what I know, I would still be inclined to
try and solve this by creating a local user and configuring a .qmail
file to forward the mails to AD users, but tweaking your defaultdelivery
to accommodate a per-user .qmail file might be tricky or impossible in
your situation.  A global sieve script might be another approach to
forwarding mails from a virtual address to valid users, but I haven't
implemented one, so I can't say if it fits your situation or provide
advice on configuring one.  Another approach could be setting up a
mailing list, where the list address is the common address that delivers
to subscribed users.  Perhaps delivery to a single user and a shared
folder might provide a usable end result as well...

Whatever you end up doing, I am interested to hear what works for you in
the end...