[Dovecot] Error "Initializing mail storage ..." after upgrading to 2.2.10

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de
Fri Feb 28 07:37:48 UTC 2014

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014, Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator wrote:

> Am 27.02.14 17:06, schrieb Steffen:
>> Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator wrote:
>>
>>> Switched it on, but there are no more error messages.
>>
>> But you'll see lines with home= mail= a.s.o. Are these settings
>> correct? Maybe, post them, too.
>
> I just realised, that I used just a basic configuration (from the
> migration); I just added and started with the big conf.d and added my
> setting.
>
> There is still the same problem/error in the log, but with some more text:
>
> E.g. the rechnungseingang-finanzbuchhaltung looks like:
>
> Feb 27 16:59:55 imap(rechnungseingang-finanzbuchhaltung): Debug:
> Effective uid=3473, gid=1182,
> home=/home/misc_accounts/rechnungseingang-finanzbuchhaltung
>
> Feb 27 17:02:11 imap(rechnungseingang-animationsinstitut): Debug:
> Effective uid=3474, gid=1182, home=
>
> list=yes, subscriptions=yes
> location=mbox:~/:INBOX=/var/mail/rechnungseingang-animationsinstitut

See that next Info line:

!!!!
Home directory not set for user. Can't expand ~/ for mail root dir
in: ~/
!!!!

In contrast to rechnungseingang-finanzbuchhaltung your userdb does not
return no home dir for rechnungseingang-animationsinstitut, therefore your
mail_location ~/ expands to the root directory "/".

You have to correct your userdb. Maybe you need to clean the cache:

doveadm auth cache flush

- --
Steffen Kaiser