[Dovecot] RFC 5267 Contexts for IMAP4 PARTIAL results

Anders Th ø gersen ath at b-one.net
Tue Jan 21 17:44:44 EET 2014

Hello,

I am looking at PARTIAL responses using a dovecot version 2.2.5 and am running

into an inconsistency with the RFC which I would like to ask about. The following

section

lists client requests and server responses which I have tried running against a folder,

specifying the ranges that fit the contents of the folder I have selected.

The Last of the listed client requests returns a response that is not as I would expect:

C: A04 UID SEARCH RETURN (PARTIAL 24000:24500) UNDELETED

UNKEYWORD $Junk

should return

S: * ESEARCH (TAG "A04") UID PARTIAL (24000:24500 NIL)

// No results are present, this is beyond the end of the results.

S: A04 OK Completed.

according to the RFC, but instead of NIL in the PARTIAL result I see the full range of

UIDs that are in the folder, as in:

C: A02 UID SEARCH RETURN (PARTIAL 23500:24000) UNDELETED

S: * ESEARCH (TAG "A02") UID PARTIAL (23500:24000 1:9)

S: A02 OK Search completed (0.000 secs).

The folder that is selected contains 9 emails with the UIDs 1-9. Should the server return

NIL Instead of returning 1:9?

Thanks!

Anders