[Dovecot] Failure in doveconf

Andrew Ray andrew at freedomlives.net
Tue Jan 21 17:08:02 EET 2014

I ran into a problem while configuring dovecot.  Quickly reading the
paragraph below, I saw "yes" as one of the options, and put that into
the config, as below:

# In case of password mismatches, log the attempted password. Valid
values are
# no, plain and sha1. sha1 can be useful for detecting brute force password
# attempts vs. user simply trying the same password over and over again.
# You can also truncate the value to n chars by appending ":n" (e.g.
sha1:6).
auth_verbose_passwords = yes

The result from doveconf -n was:
doveconf: Error: x�η
doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file
/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf: 0pη

(where the error message was always a changing, apparently random set of
characters.)

So I managed, by going back through the config file and commenting out
options, to find this was the problem and then finally read what are the
acceptable values.

Any other place that I have tried to give a non acceptable value I get a
reasonable error message with line number and problem.

Well, now I fixed my original problem, but something needs to be
adjusted in the error handling code.

Sincerely,
Andrew Ray

--