Mailboxes are in Maildir format. Any good backup tips? Had success with version control?

Leonardo Rodrigues leolistas at solutti.com.br
Tue Jul 1 11:45:27 UTC 2014

Em 01/07/14 00:16, Charles Cazabon escreveu:
>> Right now I'm using LVM snapshots + tarballs for daily backups, but
>> I'd like to get better coverage for incremental changes that occur
>> throughout the day. The size of existing content is low, but (small)
>> changes are frequent.
> If you actually want to preserve those increments (as opposed to just keeping
> an rsync mirror up-to-date), I like rdiff-backup.  It handles maildirs well
> because of the one-message-per-file design.

     Some may agree with me, some may disagree. But for my Maildir
backups, i usually exclude the files "dovecot.index*".

     On the most common situations, you'll need to restore just one or
other mailbox, so rebuilding those indexes wont kill the server. And by
excluding these, i could save 10-15% of backup space on some cases with
virtually no disadvantage.

     And on a worst case scenario, where i would need to restore the
whole server and mailboxes, things will already be screwed, so knowing
that dovecot would be harder on I/O for rebuilding the indexes will be
just another problem :)

--

	Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
	Leonardo Rodrigues