Aw: Re: Mailboxes are in Maildir format. Any good backup tips? Had success with version control?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Jul 1 20:50:37 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 01 July 2014 15:59:09 Thomas Harold did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On 7/1/2014 4:48 AM, Infoomatic wrote:
> >> If you actually want to preserve those increments (as opposed to
> >> just keeping an rsync mirror up-to-date), I like rdiff-backup.  It
> >> handles maildirs well because of the one-message-per-file design.
> >
> > Second that. It's great tool that keeps an actual sync
> > (rsync-based) of the data-directory and the metadata (delta) in a
> > seperate directory to restore data from any date.
> >
> > Alternatively, you might want to take a look at bacula, which was
> > faster in most cases (development seems to have stalled, but there
> > is a fork I have not had time to take a look at: bareos). However, I
> > liked the rdiff-backup way because I can restore files via scp or
> > rsync (most of my requests were like "please restore from
> > yesterday") or if I want to restore data from a certain date I can
> > use rdiff-backup from command line (bacula is much more complex, and
> > you need the admin tool to restore files - rdiff-backup works from
> > command line locally or via ssh/keyauth)
>
> I looked at Bacula/Amanda - which are great systems if your focus is
> tape or backup to disk.  But neither of them had good support for
> "backup to disk, rsync to offsite".
>
> rsnapshot / rdiff-backup are just better at creating backups which are
> rsync-friendly over the WAN.  Which also means you can easily push the
> backups to USB drives without having to wait hours and hours.

Well, I've been using amanda since 1998, and it was fairly mature then,
and its always done what I wanted.  I do backup to disk, but if I wanted
offsite, then copying its backup and index files to an external drive
offers bare metal recovery completely up to the date of the last backup
the way I do it.  As is, I just use a separate disk from the OS's disk as
virtual tape.  Works a treat.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)